PLATE TWENTY-SEVEN


Click For Larger Image

Known today as the Gulbenkian Carpet and housed in the Gulbenkian Museum in Lisbon , Portugal , this piece was once in the Berlin Schlossmuseum, having been donated by Wilhelm von Bode. Later, in 1936, it was sold at auction in Amsterdam.

Figure 26 was given to the Louvre Museum in 1919 by Peytel and the oldtime reproduction here from Sarre-Trenkwald, sans borders(it is in fact complete), enhances its book-cover origins.

For further discussions see Kurt Erdmann's ôSeven Hundred Years of Oriental Carpets; E.Herrmann in Hali number 36, p.48; S.Day in Hali number 48, p.39; D.Walker in Hali number 76, p.104 and S.Cohen in Hali number 114, p.83.